Take your communications to new heights.
The New Heights team offers backgrounds in all aspects of communications, campaigns, advocacy, and management, bringing an integrated approach to our work. Whether it’s running an advocacy campaign to eliminate the death penalty (we’ve done that), devising and implementing the strategy to win billions for public transit (yep, also us), or telling the stories of #MeToo victims in national outlets (you got it), we’re your team.
We got our start on presidential campaigns, so we believe that the rules of the trail apply to anyone seeking to deliver an impactful message: Tell stories, not policy prescriptions. Define yourself before others define you. And remember, the toughest fights are often the ones most worth winning.
Zainab Chaudary, Senior Vice President at New Heights Communications, has spent the last decade crafting communications strategies for progressive, social change organiza
Danielle Strasburger is a Senior Associate at New Heights Communications with a background in grassroots organizing and progressive non-profits. After graduating from Har
Ready to join the #Squad? Check out career opportunities below!
Associate/Senior Associate (Washington, DC-based)
Founded in 2010, we’re a Washington, DC-based, woman-owned, progressive, full-service strategy and communications firm with a track record of winning tough fights. We serve advocacy and legal organizations, political groups, and CEOs who are making a difference—helping them move from brainstorming to goal setting to winning.
You’ll find us working for social justice in the biggest battles in Washington—and across the country. These days, that means fighting for sustainable climate policies, access to our democracy, equity in our policies, protection for workers on the job, and our personal favorite, robust public transit. And that’s just the start.
We’re passionate, creative, and fun. And we’re looking for someone—or even a couple people—to round out our growing team.
Associate/Senior Associate (Washington, DC-based)
We’re hiring at the Associate and/or Senior Associate level. So if any of this sounds like you, you should probably check us out. Especially if you are:
- A voracious consumer of politics, culture and, you know, what the kids do these days.
- A great storyteller. You know how to string words together that inspire and activate, and you know when pictures > words.
- Willing to go to the mat for your cause and your client. You don’t quit until the job is done, and probably not even then.
- Able to maintain a sense of humor, especially when stuff hits the fan.
- Fired up about fixing the endless pipeline of global problems and injustices.
- A great coworker who will indulge our occasionally long-winded stories and hopefully tell us some of your own.
- A veteran of campaigns, the Hill or an agency… we like to know how you juggle in a fast-paced environment (this last bullet point gets you bonus points).
Mostly, you’re whip-smart, intensely curious, and want a close-knit team that is doing big things.
Here’s some additional skills you should bring to the table:
Associate (1-3 years’ experience, $45-55K)
- Good at the Internet. You know how to craft social media content that gets noticed, and shared.
- Able to use compelling, clear language to write in a variety of voices, for a variety of mediums, targeting a variety of audiences.
- Super-organized and independent—can handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Have pitched reporters and have the clips (or stories) to prove it.
- More bonus points: design or video production experience or Spanish-language skills.
Senior Associate (3-5 years’ experience, $56-70K)
- Have run, or helped run, communications for a client, candidate or cause.
- Experienced at crafting compelling narratives, including in op-eds, letters to the editor, and talking points.
- May be experienced running, or helping run, digital programs for a client, candidate or cause, including creating persuasive content, graphics and video, and a working understanding of paid digital advertising.
- Bring existing press relationships and a demonstrated track record of placing stories in the media and driving a narrative.
- Super-responsive to your clients and teammates and can meet multiple, and sometimes, competing deadlines.
- Hybrid office/WFH policy. We currently work two days/week at our downtown DC office and three days/week from wherever you want.
- Sane hours. We try not to bug you, or have our clients bug you, at night or on weekends. That said, sometimes news breaks at inconvenient times.
- 4 weeks paid vacation annually, plus additional remote-work policy.
- 401K plan with 4% employer match.
- Generous paid family leave.
- 75% employer-paid health insurance.
- $1000/yr stipend for professional development opportunities.
- Valued member of a team that cares about you and your personal and professional growth and happiness.
To Apply To Work With Us: Email your resume, two brief writing samples and a cover letter that tells us why you’d be a great fit, to email@example.com. Writing samples can include news releases or other communications materials described above. Please put “Associate” or “Senior Associate” in the subject line. New Heights takes diversity, equity and inclusion seriously—our team, our clients and the world are better when served by a diverse team. BIPOC candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
Advancing justice is never easy, but at New Heights, we know that “we all do better, when we all do better.”
Public Affairs & Issue AdvocacyNew Heights drives smart, tough public affairs campaigns by promoting issue advocacy that moves lawmakers, allies and the media to action. Learn More
Media RelationsWhether you need coverage in the New York Times, the tiniest of local outlets, or all of the above, we’ll craft a strategy to get you the headlines you want— and avoid those you don’t. Learn More
Strategic and Crisis CommunicationsWhen opponents attack, an internal crisis occurs or there’s a dramatic shift in your organization, New Heights is here to create a strategic communications plan—and to help you implement it. Learn More
Digital ServicesWe know how to tell stories online in compelling, creative and persuasive ways. Our digital services include social network management, ad placement and development, graphic design and web development.
Litigation CommunicationsWhen you need progress in the courtroom instead of Congress, New Heights knows how to move the dial.
Media TrainingEven the best message requires excellent delivery. At New Heights, we’re not just media trainers; we also interview guests ourselves. From conducting hundreds of national media interviews, we know exactly what to do when the cameras are on– and what mistakes to avoid. We’ll help you ace your interview, every time. Learn More
Our clients are on a mission to change the world and need communications systems that can keep up with them. New Heights is up for the challenge.
We’ll make sure you’re reaching the right audiences and leveraging the best digital and traditional communications tools to tell your stories. We’ll advise on the best strategy, provide capacity when your teams are strapped, and be a true partner along the way.
While 2020 was VIA Metropolitan Transit's first ballot initiative in 16 years, Josh, Ian and CFTE were able to provide the collective insight and institutional knowledge from campaigns across the country they've been involved with in recent years. Their input enhanced our polling, messaging and approach in ways we never could have on our own. CFTE was an invaluable member of our team and a key element of our overwhelming success at the ballot box.
Kelton Morgan,Chief Strategist, Vote Yes For Transit (San Antonio, TX)
Sometimes projects fall in your lap and you have zero time to complete them, this just happened to me. I had very little runway to create a brand new 15-minute keynote presentation that I had been invited to speak at a national conference. I was referred to Christy and she helped me out in a pinch. She created a rockstar speech for me that I can repurpose time and time again for other speeches. Her professionalism was top notch, her ideas on point, and she was an excellent communicator of the status of the project. I'd definitely use New Heights Communications again.
Dana Marlowe,Founder and Executive Director, I Support The Girls
I have had the great pleasure to work with Christy and her team on a number of occasions over the years. As a seasoned communications professional myself, I know what it takes to get the job done and it's always such a relief when I'm able to hire Christy because I know she'll do all the worrying and work for me and get fantastic results. She is as fun as she is professional, delivers ahead of deadline and comes from a fantastic place of, "yes." And, her strategic political and communications advice is always on point. Christy and her team are gems.
Joanna Kuebler,Vice President, Communications, Women’s Refugee Commission
New Heights Communications are the dream team! I've had the pleasure of working closely with Aurora on the distribution of our film A BRAVE HEART: The Lizzie Velasquez Story last year, and most recently with the both of them on a female entrepreneurship summit in Houston. They were thoughtful and prompt with absolutely everything - preparing the press release, securing local and national press, and working directly with our speakers to coordinate interviews. We can't wait to work with them again!
Jessica Chou,Producer, WOMEN RISING
Not only do Christy and Aurora offer thoughtful guidance and ideas, they can actually execute. That's worth saying again: they do the work. As the communications director at a small non-profit, I don't always have enough staff in the trenches. New Heights brings the reinforcements!
Nicky Coolberth Lauricella,Communications Director, National Skills Coalition
How I’m Prepping for My Election Night TV Appearance (And How You Can, Too)
About a week ago, I got a call from a senior talent producer for CNBC, asking me if I’d be part of their Election Night coverage. I’d do all-night analysis as one of a six-person panel (three Democrats, three Republicans), from 7 PM ET until we have a new President-elect. I was ecstatic. For political […]
3 Strategies for Breaking Through When the Only News is Spelled T-R-U-M-P
We run a progressive communications firm, so trust us when we say that our clients are often affected by President Trump– and rarely in positive ways. But nearly every advocacy organization in Washington, regardless of political leanings or policy aims, has had its communications irrevocably altered by the new Commander-in-Chief. That’s because our reality show […]
A Big News Story Is Breaking
Should Your Organization Hold Off On Communicating Back in the olden days of media relations, when we faxed our press releases and used carrier pigeons with far greater frequency, any time a national news story blanketed cable, we held off on sending out our releases or pitching press. Didn’t matter if the subject had little […]